- 1971- the FIRST event in Kalamazoo, a tournament held at Kalamazoo College in conjunction with their Homecoming, which was on a Medieval Theme (from Mistress Siobhan and Master Thaddeus)
This was taken on the Quad at Kalamazoo College, the first event in what would become the Canton of the Three Hills.
In the fall of 1971, the Homecoming theme was on the Middle Ages, so a few students at K who had been exposed to the SCA elsewhere, organized a small tournament on the Quad in conjunction with Homecoming. Some in attendance later began classes at Western Michigan University. Kalamazoo College and Western's West Campus are each located on large hills in the city of Kalamazoo
One of Kalamazoo's noted features is the State Hospital Water Tower, located at the top of Oakland hill. When the baby group was deciding on a name for themselves, they realized they had the perfect solution: Canton of Three Hills. The First Hill represented our founding location, Kalamazoo College. The Second Hill represented the bulk of the students at Western Michigan University. The Third Hill represented the State Hospital, where we all figured we'd end up someday. It was also a way cool landmark, what other SCA group had a medieval looking Tower in it? NONE, in 1971.
Thus, the Canton of Three Hills' name is based on Kalamazoo's geographical features and its mental institution.
-Mistress Siobhan O'Neill
- 1975- Oct 4, Algorik of Valkarth becomes founding Baron of Andelcrag
- 1981- Name Canton of the Three Hills registered
- 1984- Name Andelcrag, Barony of registered
- 1986- Device for Andelcrag, Barony of registered- Sable, on a pile inverted throughout argent between two lightning bolts in chevron inverted Or a laurel wreath vert.
- 1989- Name for Canton of Rimsholt resgistered
- 1989- Device for Canton of Rimsholt resgistered- Purpure, a fir tree couped within a laurel wreath within a bordure embattled, all argent.
- 1990- Feb 17, Karl Aerdigwidder von Zauberberg called Fum, becomes Baron of Andelcrag
- 1990- Device for Canton of the Three Hills registered- Per fess azure and vert, a fess dancetty ('dancetty' changed to 'indented' in 1991) in chief Or, in chief a laurel wreath vert, fimbriated Or.
- 1993- Name for Order of the Salient Hart registered
- 1996- Sep 21, Benedict of Beverly and Emma de Winter become Baron and Baroness of Andelcrag
- 1997- Badge for Order of the Guardant Ram registered- Per chevron sable and argent a brown ram's head caboshed proper armed Or.
- 1997- Name for Order of the Guardant Ram registered
- 1997- Badge for (Defender of Andelcrag?) registered- Or, two lightning bolts in saltire sable.
- 1998- Name for Canton of Dun Traigh registered
- 1998- Device for Canton of Dun Traigh registered- Per bend wavy Or and azure, a tower sable issuing a flame gules, and a laurel wreath Or.
- 1999- Name for Canton of Three Walls registered
- 2000- Sep 16, Thorfinn Grimkelsson and Brighid ni Caernaigh become Baron and Baroness of Andelcrag
- 2000- Badge for Order of the Salient Hart registered- (Fieldless) A hart courant azure.
- 2002- Device for Canton of Three Walls registered- Per fess vert and sable, a fess bretessed between a chalice and a laurel wreath Or.
- 2004- Name for Canton of Westmere registered
- 2005- Feb 12, Garth of the Crags and Kassia Gildea become Baron and Baroness of Andelcrag
- 2005- Badge registered (Butterfly?)- Or, three monarch butterflies proper within a bordure purpure.
- 2006- Device for Canton of Westmere registered- Azure, a trident surmounted by a laurel wreath and on a chief argent two paw prints sable.
- 2009- Badge registered (Defender of the Tower?)-Sable, on a pile inverted argent a tower sable, a bordure embattled Or.
- 2010- Feb 13, Logan Na’Sealgaith and Zaynab Yasmine become Baron and Baroness of Andelcrag
Gem of the Mountain - Given to recognize the accomplishments of the youth of the Barony in service, arts and sciences, and fighting.
Guardant Ram- (Per chevron sable and argent a brown ram's head caboshed proper armed Or)- Given for service to the Barony.
Salient Hart- ((Fieldless) A hart courant azure)- Given for accomplishments in the arts and sciences.
Defender of Andelcrag - Given for fighting and contributing to the success of the Baronial armies.
Butterfly- (Or, three monarch butterflies proper within a bordure purpure)- Given at the discretion of the Baron and Baroness, for anything from courtesy to authenticity to above the norm in service or arts and sciences.
Defender of the Tower- Given for service to the Barony above and beyond what is seen as typical.
The Andelcrag device or 'coat of arms' was registered with the Society in 1984. A device can be coded in the terms of heraldry so that anyone can read the code or 'blazon' and draw the symbol.
Our blazon reads "Sable, on a pile inverted throughout argent between two lightning bolts in chevron inverted Or a laurel wreath vert."
This can be casually reworded as "on a black shield, draw a white triangle with two yellow lighting bolts on either side and a green laurel wreath at the bottom."
The very geometric shape of the lightnining bolts has been traditional, though I understand that you may draw them in any way where they are recognizable as lightning bolts.
If you want to make an Andelcrag banner there is an JPG file of the blank device that you can expand, project, or otherwise use in the craft of your choice.