Login

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

New Shire - Oakenshield
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: New Shire - Oakenshield
New Shire - Oakenshield 2 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 4
Greetings to the populace of the great Barony of Fenix.

An excellent opportunity has been presented for us to sponsor a new Shire. Some of you might have already had the pleasure of meeting some of the fine people from Oakenshield which resides in the 'unclaimed lands' to the south of us. They have approached our Barony to act as their sponsor and administrative branch in the creation of their Shire.

To answer a few questions, here is essentially what this would mean for our Barony and their Shire.

1. As their Administrating Group we will be their advisers and their counsel.
2. Their group officers will automatically become deputies to our group officers, and must be listed as such on our officer reports.
3. Their officers will submit their reports to our officers, and must be included with our officer's quarterly or trimester reports.

They currently have 12 members and reside in an area which is 4 hours from our Barony's center, however as they are extremely self-sufficient virtually all communication can be handled via email (or if anyone wishes to be historically accurate I can provide documents written by quill and sealed with wax, but YOUR taking it to them). We would be their mentors and guides on how to properly operate a group within a Kingdom, and perhaps see them grow one day to a Barony of their own.

For the sake of expediency we ask that everyone come to the Business meeting with any questions they might have. It is our intention to discuss and vote on the issue of sponsoring the Shire AT the June 8th Business meeting. We are expediting the process on this one in order to deal with as much of the red tape as possible before Pennsic.

I am cross posting this to the Yahoo group, however I WOULD ask that everyone take their discussion to the Baronial forum. It is under the SCA Related Discussion forum under the topic Sponsorship of the Shire of Oakenshield. The direct link to the forum posting should be included below.

Many thanks and I look forward to seeing everyone at the next meeting.

in Service,
Ld Alaric de Colville
Seneschal - Barony of Fenix
Seneschal (Lisabetta Temperani)
Privy Council
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:New Shire - Oakenshield 2 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 0
OK, bringing my discussion here, now that it is here...

I am curious to know where this group is, geographically. If they are four hours away and to the south of us, that means they must be much closer to the Barony of Flame than to us, so I wonder why Flame is not sponsoring them.
Either I am mistaken about the geographical situation, or there is some reason why either Oakenshield or Flame does not wish to enter into a sponsorship relationship with the other.

Can you name some of the members of Oakenshield? Are they splintered off from another group (off-shoots from Flame, remnants of Drakelaw, etc.)?

I'm asking this primarily out of curiosity, and not because the answers make any difference as to the advisability of sponsoring the group as a new Shire.

For myself in particular, I would like to know the names of their Seneschal and MOAS, as well as contact information for both of them (off-list, of course)

~ Crespine
Crespine de la Vallée
Merchant
graphgraph

Re:New Shire - Oakenshield 2 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 4
Dragonsmark and Flame have both said they have no interest in sponsoring a new group at this time, and because of our activity level we are a better fit to sponsor them. I have a list of their current officers and can circulate their contact information to their relevant Officer superiors here, but here are their names:

*Seneschal *- Charles Melton, aka *Gedrian Marius*
*Exchequer *- Robert Tomlin, aka *Hector Marius*
*Herald *- Bryan Roberts, aka *Brannith Marius*
*Marshall *- Bryan Roberts (working on this one at the moment)

I will be posting more in a bit.

In service,
Ld Alaric
Seneschal (Lisabetta Temperani)
Privy Council
graphgraph

Re:New Shire - Oakenshield 2 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 1
I will personally vouch for each and every one of these folks and I would consider it an honor to sponsor them. I had the opportunity to spend a week with them at Gulf Wars this past year. Not only did they acquit themselves admirably on the field, they were very helpful and courteous off the field.

Any time I asked for a hand there were several of their number at the front of the line, eager to pitch in...hauling wood, retaining, moving the royal thrones from one end of the site to the other...they did it all with a smile.

It doesn't hurt anything to file their reports with ours for a few years...(Although I'm no officer and have no reports to file *grin*). I know if anyone up here contacted any of them and asked for a helping hand, they'd not hesitate to offer it if it were in their power to do.

Whether or not our Barony votes to sponsor these folks, I have given help to them and will continue to give every bit of help I can, and plan on visits to them in Manchester, KY as often as I can afford it. Eager, willing and friendly self starters deserve every break they can get, not to mention, good folks are good folks.

My 2 cents worth...

YIS,
Sjt. Drogo Rotaugen
Drogo Rotaugen
Peasant
graphgraph

Re:New Shire - Oakenshield 2 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 0
Ah, ok. I know their Seneschal. Good guy.
I was curious about their MOAS (which it seems they don't have), since I would need to know about A&S activities happening there, but I assume that as the sponsoring group, Fenix would have to host any events they wanted to hold and I would hear about A&S activities from the Fenix MOAS.

Personally, as a member of the populace of Fenix, I have no objection to sponsoring them and I think it would be a good idea. If they have a solid group and identity, they should be allowed to go through the process of gaining full status, instead of joining an existing group that may not suit them geographically or culturally.

Tnank you, Drogo, for saying where they physically are.

I'll be at the meeting for the vote.

Crespine
Crespine de la Vallée
Merchant
graphgraph

Re:New Shire - Oakenshield 2 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 1
This group sounds promising! It's unfortunate that a meeting or meet and greet wasn't planned for Crown Weekend, when many folks from both groups would have been available, but we may not have known this was in the pipeline.

I can offer an online meeting in elluminate that is free and easy to all involved (provided you have internet service, obviously).

If we decide we'd like to coordinate a meeting with the group I can post the meeting room link and info and send it via yahoo. It would accommodate everyone who wants to attend and it supports chat/video/audio ...and you can share any of your applications - for example, I could pull up any type file or website and everyone could see it...or I could give the commands to someone else and they could do the same. It's very cool, AND saves gas - especially if this situation is to be expedited sooner than later.

~Lucja
Lady Lionetta Illuminatore
Privy Council
graphgraph

Re:New Shire - Oakenshield 2 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 0
this may be a bit late haha.

but....

All of our members are totally independant of any other shires or baronies. No one is splintered from any other groups. I got into the SCA in late 2008 (Ullr used to be an instructor of mine and got me into it). Since then my brothers/sisters have joined. We are about the same distance to Fenix as we are to Flame. Also, the people of Fenix was very nice and hospitable to us at Gulf Wars (2011). Also, i ask around and it was suggested to me that Fenix was the best group to go with
Brannith "Lightguard" Marius
Peasant
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 1

This is the recognized Web site for the Barony of Fenix, Middle Kingdom (The Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc.) and is maintained by Jennifer Prichard (Ellisif Steinsdottir). This site may contain electronic versions of the group's governing documents. Any discrepancies between the electronic version of any information on this site and the printed version that is available from the originating office will be decided in favor of the printed version. Copyright © 2011 Barony of Fenix. The original contributors retain the copyright of certain portions of this site. For information on using photographs, articles, or artwork from this web site, please contact the Webminister. They will assist you in contacting the original creator of the piece. Please respect the legal rights of our contributors. All external links are not part of the Barony of Fenix website. Inclusion of a page or site here is neither implicit nor explicit endorsement of the site. Further, SCA, Inc. is not responsible for content outside of http://midrealm.org/baronyfenix.

Middle Kingdom Calendar
Calendar of Events for the Middle Kingdom of the SCA