Login

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottomPage: 123
TOPIC: Coronation
Coronation 3 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 4
Greetings unto the Barony of Fenix,

I know that everyone is in the middle of the pre-war hussle and bussle, but let us not forget that there is a Coronation coming up this Fall.

Now would be a good time to start thinking about making donations for a Royal gift basket, so we don't have to go through a last minute rush of trying to get something together.

Medieval themed or hand made items are always appreciated. This is great opportunity for the many skilled crafters we have in the Barony to show off their talent.

In Service

Baron Aengus
Fenix Baron (Aengus mac Farlane)
Privy Council
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Coronation 3 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 3
If you need ideas:

www.midrealm.org/trh/largesse.htm

Also, for those who didn't recycle at Border Raids...(Hrolf)

Whims

Our world is a precious thing. We would encourage ever member of our kingdom to recycle all plastic, glass and aluminum cans at events. Let’s make this a green reign!

Fenix Webminister
Currently: Ellisif Steinsdóttir

Re:Coronation 3 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 1
I have some saffron and cinnamon to donate, who do I give it to? These can be used for their cooking or healing properties. (Some interesting facts below.)

Saffron- Human cultivation and use of saffron reaches back more than 3,500 years and spans many cultures, continents, and civilizations. Saffron, a spice derived from the dried stigmas of the saffron crocus, has remained among the world's most costly substances throughout history. With its bitter taste, hay-like fragrance, and slight metallic notes, saffron has been used as a seasoning, fragrance, dye, and medicine. Saffron was first documented in a 7th-century BC Assyrian botanical reference compiled under Ashurbanipal. Since then, documentation of saffron's use over a span of 4,000 years in the treatment of some ninety illnesses has been uncovered. Source: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_saffron

Cinnamon- Most Americans consider cinnamon a simple flavoring, but it is an ancient herbal medicine mentioned in Chinese texts as far back as four thousand years, and the parts of this plant used medicinally are the dried inner bark of the shoots and the oil distilled from the bark and leaves. In ancient times, Cinnamon was added to food to prevent spoiling, and it was used in Egypt for embalming. During the Bubonic Plague, sponges were soaked in Cinnamon and cloves and placed in sick rooms, and it has also been burned as an incense. During the explorations of the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries, Cinnamon was the most sought-after spice. Cinnamon has a broad range of historical uses in different cultures, including the treatment of diarrhea, rheumatism and certain menstrual disorders. Traditionally, the bark was believed best for the torso, the twigs for the fingers and toes. Recent research has highlighted hypoglycemic properties, useful in diabetes. Cinnamon brandy is made by soaking crushed Cinnamon bark a "fortnight" in brandy. Source: www.cinnamonpills.com/
Keara
Landowner
graphgraph
Last Edit: 2010/07/19 21:42 By kearapeterson.Reason: links not working

Re:Coronation 3 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 1
I couldn't get my picture of the items to post, could someone tell me how to do this?
Keara
Landowner
graphgraph

Re:Coronation 3 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: -10
Hi All!

I've offered to help organize the gift collection. Thank you for the offer of saffron and cinnamon. Those items are kingly gifts indeed. I'm going to post the list of requests at the bottom of the message - but any items are always appreciated. An item not on the list but useful for gifts are pouches of all shapes and sizes. Most of us have scrap fabric left over from projects and those scraps can be turned into pouches.

I would like to set a deadline of Sept 15th for donations.

If you have any questions or want to help but aren't sure what to make, please let me know.

Thanks!
Artemisia

Here's the list

• Salts and herbs for cooks
• Soaps and bath salts
• Fabric
• Woven trim
• Pottery and tableware
• Jewelry, buttons, etc
• Lampwork beads
• Period games and game boards
• Scroll blanks
• Sewing kits
• Small boxes
• Journals and books
• Children’s toys
Artemisia
Serf
graphgraph

Re:Coronation 3 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 0
I have some scrap fabric that I can make some pouches; how many should I make and what average size? I'm sure I can recruit Ellisif on project night to help!

Anastasia
Anastasia
Serf
graphgraph

You can make as many as you would like. I'm sure our good baron and baroness could use a few. As far as a "good" size 4 x 6 works well.
Artemisia
Serf
graphgraph

The ones I made for this past coronation were relatively simple. They were lined and had drwawstrings. The biggest issue I had was finding good cording for the draw strings. I was only finding nylon cords and strings. I can show y'all a quick and easy assembly - each bag took me less than 10 minutes. We can do this at a fight practice or two as well.
Lady Lionetta Illuminatore
Privy Council
graphgraph

Re:Coronation 3 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 30
I can do a nice 4 strand braided cord for the pouches. Looks nice in 2 colors.
Lucet is also good for that, but I don't have the "loom".
Edyth does finger-braiding. All our dress lacings are done that way.
I have a "ton" of embroidery floss in various colors. Just let me know what you need.
Elspeth Clerk
Head of Clan Bredi
Aristocrat
graph

I've got a lucet "loom" if you would like to have one. I don't know how to use it and it isn't period for me in the 14th century - Go fingerloop braiding!!!!
Artemisia
Serf
graphgraph

Sure, I'll take it off your hands. It isn't period for me either, but neither is nalbinding. Either one gives me something to do at events.
Elspeth Clerk
Head of Clan Bredi
Aristocrat
graph
Last Edit: 2010/07/28 11:19 By elspethc.Reason: to fix typo

I have linen in red, navy, light and dark green, rust, a little purple a couple shades of yellow, so just about any combination you could make would be wonderful!
Typically I use two cords for each pouch... anywhere from 6" - 10" each. If you wanted you could just do lengths of 14-20" and then we can cut as we assemble.

I would be eternally greatful for anything you all could make.. and I think it would make the pouches extra nice to have the handmade cords.

I also have a HUGE basket. It's gigantic and super sturdy and would be suitable to put tons of gifts in. It's like woven out of tree trunks or something lol. TRMS could use it to gift in as well
Lady Lionetta Illuminatore
Privy Council
graphgraph

I would like to learn how to do the braiding or use the loom. I attempted my first handmade snood and I think learning how to make cords would be useful. I'll bring the stuff I made with me tonight.
Keara
Landowner
graphgraph

Maybe we can set up a time to get together. Due to mundane responsibilities, I don't attend Weds meetings.
Elspeth Clerk
Head of Clan Bredi
Aristocrat
graph

Re:Coronation 3 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 0
I have done some fingerloop braiding as well, so I can help out with the cords.

Anastasia
Anastasia
Serf
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 123

This is the recognized Web site for the Barony of Fenix, Middle Kingdom (The Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc.) and is maintained by Jennifer Prichard (Ellisif Steinsdottir). This site may contain electronic versions of the group's governing documents. Any discrepancies between the electronic version of any information on this site and the printed version that is available from the originating office will be decided in favor of the printed version. Copyright © 2011 Barony of Fenix. The original contributors retain the copyright of certain portions of this site. For information on using photographs, articles, or artwork from this web site, please contact the Webminister. They will assist you in contacting the original creator of the piece. Please respect the legal rights of our contributors. All external links are not part of the Barony of Fenix website. Inclusion of a page or site here is neither implicit nor explicit endorsement of the site. Further, SCA, Inc. is not responsible for content outside of http://midrealm.org/baronyfenix.

Middle Kingdom Calendar
Calendar of Events for the Middle Kingdom of the SCA