Login

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottomPage: 1234
TOPIC: NKU Demo
Re:NKU Demo 3 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 2
I am sure I will be able to make it sounds like fun and it means i get out of this house : ).
Oswin
Peasant
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:NKU Demo 3 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 1
Sounds interesting. I have done one demo before. I would like to come. I will check my work schedule.
Keara
Landowner
graphgraph

Re:NKU Demo 3 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 2
The heavy fighters request field heralds, someone to brag on us and explain to the crowd what is going on. Maybe cheerlead a bit.
Thanks,
m
Cpt Mahon
Landowner
graphgraph

Re:NKU Demo 3 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 4
Her Excellency and I will make it a point to be there, but we are not sure we can stay the entire time. We will have Gabe and Aislin that weekend, and they need to be returned to their mother's house that evening.

Arte - In answer to your question, yes please. If you can, I would really appreciate it if you could arrange for some shade. I look forward to seeing you both their.

Mahon - List Heralds would be excellent. We need to make sure it is someone with the right mix of knowledge of our combat (rapier and armored), and comfort with crowds. If I could suggest that you contact Malcolm and see if he is available. I think he would be an excellent choice.

Crespine - Thank you so much for offering to represent our rapier community. I hope that others will come out as well, to face you on the list and do our Barony proud.

Alaric - I will email you off list with some things I would like to get together for the demo...nothing big, just email sign up lists, fliers, etc. We need to make sure we have the material available to take full advantage of the opportunity this will give the Barony for new members.

Artisans - Please bring any display items you may want to show off, we will probably need table space as well. I would coordinate that with Alaric since he put this together for us. ALSO, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE bring works in progress, and plan to be working on them at the demo. To me, one of the best parts is seeing and talking to the people as they are making their works of art. It makes it more real somehow. I think it will be inspiring for the people visiting us.

Everyone - Please show up in support of your Barony and let's all put our best foot forward. This is a great chance for us to fine tune a new way of doing demos....let's make it more like a living history fair than a fight practice. Please make an effort to keep modern items hidden, and stay in the moment at all times. Also, let's make an effort to make sure that the right people are speaking at the right times, and about the right subjects. If someone approaches you about a subject you are not familiar with, please try to direct them to the best person to speak with. As an example, I know very little about blacksmithing, so I shouldn't answer those questions, but I do know something about brewing.

Thank you all for stepping up to do this demo.

Baron Aengus
Fenix Baron (Aengus mac Farlane)
Privy Council
graphgraph

I'll bring 2 tables,

Alaric, if it's convenient and you have room, bring the Gold key items (or some of them - not sure how much stuff there is)... and I can bring them home, and over the winter, myself and others can go through and make repairs and such. If it's not convenient - no worries.
Lady Lionetta Illuminatore
Privy Council
graphgraph

Re:NKU Demo 3 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 0
I have to see if I'm available that day - if so, I will also bring a table and pehaps some of the natural dying/weaving materials we're working on in Eastside.

Dyane
Gwenllian Telynores
Peasant
graphgraph

Here are some updates that I've received.

As I think was mentioned we have the location from 11am to 6pm. He's asked if we can have at least one fighting demo towards the tail end of the day for those who show up later in the day.

I am planning on having the Gold Key bins on site, but if anyone has any garb that they would like to donate to Gold key please bring it along.

he is looking into getting some tables for us, but I'd say we should live on the side of caution and just bring our own if possible.

He also said parking is $3 per car. I'm going to ask if there is anyway of getting that waived but I'm really not holding my breath. So if groups of people wish to carpool that would probably be helpful.

he has asked what A&S activities we will be having. So if at all possible (and you haven't done so already), please post here what A&S you will be doing on site so we have an idea.

Also, and I know it's late for this but I'm going to do it anyway, I would like to ask for 2 volunteers to help me coordinate things. I would like someone to help coordinate the fighting and someone to help coordinate the A&S. Anyone who wishes to serve please email me at lordalaric@gmail.com.

Many thanks in advance to EVERYONE who has volunteered and is coming to serve in this. This may be the only demo we have done this year but it is quickly looking to be the biggest demo we have done in at least a couple. Here's to hoping we come away with new members.

In Service,
Ld Alaric de Colville
Seneschal (Lisabetta Temperani)
Privy Council
graphgraph

Her Excellency Hypathia has said she will be doing card weaving at the demo.

Aengus
Privy Council
graphgraph

I have a mini van that hold 5 plus fightign gear and A&S projects quite comfortably. If you guys want to meet up iwht me in the Taco Bell parking lot in Eastgage we can car pool from there.
Keara
Landowner
graphgraph

I'll have as varied a selection of ironwork as I can come up with, and I'll find something in-progress to work on. I might start a project in copper just to work on at the demo so I won't need as much heat.
Reinhold
Serf
graphgraph
Memento Homo, Quod Cinis Est, Et In Cenerem Reverentis

I will do the stick weaving - not sure if there is a proper name for it. If I get to a reasonable stage, I may also bring a pait of leather boots I am working on. I can bring samples of fingerloop braids and some other things.

It might also be nice, weather permitting, if folks brought a few books, scrolls and photo albums. I think people like browsing through this stuff.
Lady Lionetta Illuminatore
Privy Council
graphgraph

All of these sound like wonderful A&S ideas, and I look forward to seeing everyone there.

Just a little addition to what I said before about making sure that the right people were speaking on the right topics... Not only is it important to make sure we are only answering questions we are knowledgebale about, but it is also important to make sure any stories we may tell to visitors portray the SCA in a positive light. We all have our "Tuchux" or "one time at band camp" stories, but these are not appropriate for a demo, or potential new members.

Let's put only our best foot forward.

Aengus
Privy Council
graphgraph

Re:NKU Demo 3 Years, 6 Months ago Karma: 0
Alaric, here's what I am prepared to show/bring/tell for A&S -
Spinning - I will have my drop spindle and some newly washed and combed Lincoln wool to spin (although I am only an intermediate spinner, at best), along with some washed but uncombed wool, and some raw, unwashed wool - all from the same animal.

Embroidery - I will bring examples of blackwork/punto scritto embroidery, both finished and in progress.

Buttons - I can demonstrate the technique of making thread-wrapped buttons and cloth buttons.

Braids/Cords - Lucja, I also do fingerloop Do you know how to do the two-person braids? I don't, but if you do, maybe we could do one of those. I've been dying to learn.

Costuming - I can bring some examples of garb, including some in progress, or with linings/bindings removed to show interior structures.

Rapier - In the event that we don't have a fencing marshal present, and therefore can't do any actual fighting, I can demonstrate some historical rapier styles on my own, although this would be a lot less interesting than dueling. And bring the relevant period fencing treatises.

I will fetch along some books - The English Housewife (a period book on all the domestic arts, including instructions, that a lady should know to run a hosuehold), and a book of 14th and 15th century recipes. I'll dig around.

I had another thought, too, and forgive me if this has already been mentioned by others, but I think it would be nice to have some index cards with any A&S displays or demos, simply stating the culture(s) and time period(s) the the particular craft/item was in use, to put it in historical perspective.

I can bring my own tables and some chairs.

Timing: Assuming I'm not too hungover from Royal Hunt/pre-birthday celebrations, I should be able to get to the demo site by 11am and stay the whole time. If I have trouble rolling out of my pavilion, I'll probably arrive more like noon.
Crespine de la Vallée
Merchant
graphgraph

I can bring an illumination I am working on.
Keara
Landowner
graphgraph

If you have some finished examples, those would be nice too.

Thank you.
Privy Council
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 1234

This is the recognized Web site for the Barony of Fenix, Middle Kingdom (The Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc.) and is maintained by Jennifer Prichard (Ellisif Steinsdottir). This site may contain electronic versions of the group's governing documents. Any discrepancies between the electronic version of any information on this site and the printed version that is available from the originating office will be decided in favor of the printed version. Copyright © 2011 Barony of Fenix. The original contributors retain the copyright of certain portions of this site. For information on using photographs, articles, or artwork from this web site, please contact the Webminister. They will assist you in contacting the original creator of the piece. Please respect the legal rights of our contributors. All external links are not part of the Barony of Fenix website. Inclusion of a page or site here is neither implicit nor explicit endorsement of the site. Further, SCA, Inc. is not responsible for content outside of http://midrealm.org/baronyfenix.

Middle Kingdom Calendar
Calendar of Events for the Middle Kingdom of the SCA