Message from the former Kingdom Chirurgeon
Unto the populace of the Midrealm does Lady Daniila of Dacia, Former Kingdom Chirurgeon, send greetings. As of August 10th, 2015 the office of the Chirurgeonate has been closed by the order of the Society Board of Directors. To that end, all Emergency planning and preparedness now falls to Event Autocrat’s and Marshall’s in Charge. With this is mind, please peruse the information provided below and act accordingly.
EMERGENCY PLANNING FOR SCA EVENTS
After your event site has been selected:
- Identify and locate your nearest Emergency Medical Service (EMS) and see if your site has an operational/inspected AED.
- Contact the EMS, inform them of what type of event is occurring i.e. Equestrian, Fighting, or A&S only, and ascertain their estimated time of arrival (ETA) to your location should the need arrive.
- Check and see if there is a possible intercept point they would choose should the ETA be longer than 15 minutes.
Deciding when to call 911 or transport by private vehicle: The Marshal in Charge and/or the Autocrat are the decision makers.
- Life Threat – Still breathing with a pulse – Call 911 and follow the Dispatchers instructions.
- Unresponsive, not breathing – Call 911 and follow the Dispatchers instructions. Start by-stander CPR and get AED if available.
- Back, Head and Neck or Lower extremity injury with obvious deformity – Do not move the person! Call 911 and follow the Dispatchers instructions.
- Upper Extremity injury – stabilizes, ask the person if they need someone to drive them to an Urgent Care Center or Emergency Room. Please do not expect the injured person to take themselves.
- Medical Emergency: Breathing problems, Chest pain, possible Stroke, low or high blood sugar or any other urgent issues or injury – Call 911. If the ETA is longer than 15 minutes suggest to the Dispatcher your intercept option if available and follow their instructions.
Please note: While there is a society wide Chirurgeons’ Guild that is still very active and willing to provide and assist with first aid measures, and many household friends and associates who have very good intentions, the ultimate decision for activating 911 falls to the Event Autocrat, Marshal in Charge and the person needing the aid. If said person is not conscious or oriented the Autocrat and MIC will act for them with implied consent.
All incidents are to be sent thru the Marshal’s and Seneschal’ reporting chain within 24 hours of the end
of the event.
It is my sincere hope that the information provided will be a helpful guide for our safety in the future.
Yours in Service,
Daniila of Dacia