What You Need to Know to Host a Demo
For your convenience, a Print Version of this information is available.
The Society for Creative Anachronism is an all-volunteer organization. We all share a passion for the Middle Ages and Renaissance, but all of us have responsibilities outside the Society in what some refer to as "real life" and what we like to call "mundane life." Some of us work for a living, some of us have families to care for, and some of us are students but we all have mundane responsibilities. Unlike a commercial venture or organization, we do not have a paid staff. The people who work our demos are volunteers and may be unable to donate their time for the date or time you have chosen.
Some things to keep in mind when requesting a date or time for a demo:
- The Canton of Rokkehealden will not confirm a demo if we can not arrange sufficient volunteer staffing.
- A minimum of 2-3 fighters must be available in order to have a fighting demo.
- Evening demos are the easiest to confirm.
- Daytime demos, while not impossible, are extremely difficult to confirm since most of our members work during the day.
- Weekends are often filled with SCA Events and Tournaments, especially during the summer "camping" and "war" season. At certain times of the year it may be very difficult to schedule a weekend (especially Saturday) demo.
- SCA Events and Tournaments further complicate scheduling. Just like a basketball player may not want to play a pickup game in the park the day before the big game, many of our fighters may not want to risk an injury that would keep them from competing in a tournament.
Fighter and Rapier List Area Requirement
In order to ensure the safety of combatants and spectators, as well as produce a quality exhibition of medieval warfare we have the following stipulations:
- A designated list area is required. The list area may need to be roped off to ensure that spectators are unable to enter the fighting area. If needed, we can rope off the area.
- The list area should measure at least 30 feet by 30 feet whenever possible. It may be feasible to do a fighter and rapier exhibition in a smaller space but the combatants will not be able to demonstrate many techniques due to safety precautions.
- We will not honor any request where the designated list area is less than 20 feet by 20 feet. Safety regulations deem that anything less than 20' x 20' is hazardous to both combatants and spectators.
- The Canton of Rokkehealden reserves the right to cancel the demo at any time if the list area fails to meet the above noted minimum list area requirements. This right includes the day of the demo once we are onsite.
Demo Donations and Deposit Information
The Society for Creative Anachronism is a non-profit educational society.
The monies collected for events and demos fund the Canton of Rokkehealden. Demo donations help the Canton to pay for meeting sites, fighter practices, etc., and enable us to sponsor our annual event.
- Our standard donation request is tailored to meet each organization's budget.
- We recognize that other non-profit and charitable organizations have limited budgets. In these circumstances, the Canton of Rokkehealden is willing to negotiate a demo fee that is within your organization's budget constraints.
- A non-refundable deposit of 50% of the demo donation will be due 30 days prior to your demo. If you should cancel the demo at any time within 20 days of the event, you will forfeit your donation deposit.
- Final payment of the remaining 50% of the demo donation is due on the day of the demo.
Please fill out the Demo Request Form and return it to the canton's Demo Co-ordinator as soon as your event plans are firm. Your response will enable us to better assess your group's demo needs and give us the ability to begin scheduling volunteers to make your demo happen.